Monday, February 6, 2012

Banana Spring Rolls with coconut ice cream

On a recent date night at PF Chang’s I was craving the banana spring rolls. It gave me the idea that maybe I could try making them. So I did a bit of online searching and recipe comparing and had a go at it. Yum! They were so good, and luckily I took pictures as I went so that I could share it with you!

Banana Spring Rolls
Ingredients:
Ripe bananas (I think smaller better)
Egg Roll Wrappers
¼ c. brown sugar with some cinnamon, ginger, and cloves sprinkled in
Oil for frying (I know bad, but you just can’t bake these)
Coconut pineapple ice cream (get the Haagen-Dazs kind!)
Caramel sauce
Strawberries or raspberries

Heat the oil in a large skillet. You should heat it to 350* but I don’t have a thermometer so I just turn it on medium heat while I get everything ready. Put your brown sugar and spice mixture into one bowl and then put some water into another little bowl. Peal your bananas and cut in half (hamburger style). You could also cut them in half again (hotdog style) if you want them skinnier. Roll your banana in your sugar mixture, patting some on too. Put your egg roll wrapper down with a corner facing you. Place the banana on the wrapper like so.

Wrap the bottom of the wrapper up over the banana. Fold the sides in. Continue to roll it up. Dip your finger in the water and run along the final corner of the wrapper so that it gets sealed down. Assemble your banana rolls before you begin frying. Fry one or two spring rolls at a time, turning so that they are cooked evenly around. The oil should bubble calmly around the spring roll. If it doesn’t bubble when the spring roll is put in then it is not hot enough. It should not be boiling though! (You don’t want to get hurt!) When the spring roll has a nice golden color and little bubbles on it, remove it from the heat, letting the excess oil drain off.

Using a serrated knife, cut the spring roll in half at a nice angle. Arrange on plate with a scoop of ice cream and your raspberries or cut up strawberries. Then drizzle it all with your caramel sauce. Serve immediately so that spring rolls are warm and ice cream doesn’t melt! Enjoy!


Banana Spring Roll Caramel Sauce Anecdote:  I needed caramel sauce for the spring rolls. My thoughts were something like this: I don’t want to buy just Smucker’s caramel sauce; real bloggers would make their own caramel sauce and then show everyone just how easy it really is. Well, when your caramel sauce recipe includes the phrase “pour the cream in all at once and continue to whisk but move away as far as possible as the sauce will immediately burst into a violent boil” you should beware and recognize that this doesn’t sound good. Well, long story short I never left the side of the caramel and never stopped whisking, but somehow instantaneously it looked like this.
Hahaha! Moral of the story: if you are a real life blogger like myself, buy the Smucker’s caramel sauce right up front!

No comments:

Post a Comment